Sunday, March 9, 2008

Things that Have Amazed Me This Week

1. Jason's Musical Heritage
We were with the Georges this week to celebrate the life of Jason's grandma, Louise Anderson, who passed away last Sunday night after 92 faithful years. The service was beautiful, and I was overwhelmed by how every single member of Jason's family, immediate and extended, is musically gifted. Not just "they can sing," but really, amazingly talented. His uncles and mom sang a song and it was beautiful. Then Jason, his brother, sisters and mom sang a song and proved their title yet again of the "Van George Family Singers" (i gave them that title :-). Jason's grandma was a church pianist and taught Margaret how to play. She taught Jason and he already enjoys sharing his piano bench with Maizie. I can't wait to see how this musical legacy plays out in her life. I, on the other hand, am the only one on both sides of our family missing the gene. Whaddayagunnado?

2. Maizie's Mysterious Southern Accent
So Maizie doesn't say "Dog", she says "DAAAAWWWWWGG". No joke. And she doesn't say "Baby", she says "bay-BEEEEEEEE!" And on Old McDonald's Farm, Maizie goes, "E-Ah-E-Ah" not "E-I-E-I". What HAPPENED HERE? She's hangs out with a loveable Yankee all day long and comes out with this Southern dribble?!? Jason doesn't really have a drawl either, except if you catch him singing the song "Light the Fire," which is completely excusable. Not sure where this is coming from, but this Mudblood (half Yankee :-) child better start getting in touch with her Northern side soon. My parents are in town this week, but they are finding her accent endearing and aren't helping out the situation. Again, whaddayagunnado.

3. How A Girl Can Go From 100% Happy to 100% Unhappy in One Second Flat



4. This Man
A short list of things Jason has done for me over the past 2 weeks: moved us to a new place, set up his fish tank, hung kitchen shelves and a pot rack, hung curtains, rearranged a perfectly good looking dining room, changed all our lightbulbs to the curly q kind, put our bed together, put our computer together, hung wall shelves in our office, put Maizie's room together, set up our tv and dish, handled the horrible dish customer service when I had had enough, took time out to read and pray to Maizie every night, figured out our washing machine was broke, researched said washer on the internet, ordered a part for said washer on the internet and fixed said washer (amazing), took me out to eat, took me to a movie, took me to a show, helped me take everything out of our garage and put it neatly back in, helped me dye my hair (he does it all, ladies!) and cooked me breakfast. And this is just the short list. I was on the phone with T-mobile changing our address this morning and they had to verify something with Jason. I said I'd have to hold up the phone since he was cooking breakfast and the operator couldn't shut up for the rest of the conversation about that. She kept repeating how lucky I was. And I agree.

5. How My 14-year-old nephew, Ramsey, Can Do This

5 comments:

Briana said...

You are blessed. Cute southern daughter who loves you to pieces and a cooking/cleaning/handy/singing hubby that does the same. =P

Wilson said...

As amazing as I think Jason and Maizie are, I think that last image has to take the cake!

Angela Robinson said...

The "mudblood" comment cracked me up! Funny, funny girl.

Hope y'all are doing great...sounds like Jason is taking good care of you!

Mark said...

You didn't get Maizie's pronunciation of "dog" quite right. It's spoken in three parts (as all good one-syllable words are by Southerners). The three parts are run together without a perceptible pause in between. Here it is, spelled phonetically: dah-oh-oog. Y'know you could move that child up north (no-were-uth for you Southerners) and she'd talk gooder. I know someone who'd be willing to help her parents find jobs, housing, babysitters, etc.

Dad

Noelle said...

haha maybe mazie's southern accent comes from her good ole alabama friend. haha i hope she'll do that for me tomorrow. i want to hear it.