Monday, October 13, 2008

Tagged by Myra

Here's the rules:

Grab the nearest book.Open the book to page 56. Find the fifth sentence. Post the text of the next two to five sentences in your blog along with these instructions. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST. Tag five other people to do the same.

So, I was packing up the last two books we had out from the bathroom and thought I should go ahead and fulfill my tag from Myra. Here's my quote from "The Best American Short Stories of the Century". This excerpt is from The Golden Honeymoon by Ring Lardner:

"So they got another lady and kept on playing and soon Mrs. Hartsell was the one everybody was laughing at, as she had a long shot to hit the black ball, and as she made the effort her teeth fell out on to the court. I never seen a woman so flustered in all my life. And I never heard so much laughing, only Mrs. Hartsell didn't join in and she was madder than a hornet and wouldn't play no more, so the game broke up."

Since most of you Austinites have been tagged, I'll send a shout out to my ol' College Station and Denver cronies. I tag: Angela R., Jennifer T., Sarah N., Irma W.

No comments: